Monday 30 January 2012

My Own Feedback


Since having to start planning to collect audience feedback and shifting through my opening sequence to think of the sort of questions that I can ask my audience, I have started to reflect on my own coursework.

Truthfully, if given the chance, I would love to re-film my opening sequence. Not the whole collection of shots, but merely adjust some and add in some other camera angles. For example, when Natalie is in the bathroom checking her make-up and washes her hands, it is in one shot. Whereas, now when editing I realised that I could have cut the a close-up shot of Natalie's face when she steps back a bit to look at her face.

Another adjustment that I would have liked to have done is the placement of my title, 'Speak Out'. Originally I had it displayed in chalk writing on a brick wall with a credit, however with this causing the title of the film to be unclear I realised an even better place that I could have put it. When Natalie meets Adam at the brick, I could have written on the brick wall between them 'Speak Out', using a medium or close-up shot of them facing each other with the title in the middle between them. I am disappointed that I could not include the chalk writing on the wall as that was one of my more favoured credits in the sequence.

Also if I managed to re-film my opening sequence I would further develop the dialogue between the two characters. The inflection in the voices didn't entirely match what I wanted to get across to the audience. The female's voice was also mentioned in some feedback received from a peer, that it appeared too happy. I agree with this statement as I wanted her to appear more nervous and cautious around the male character. On the other hand I feel that the male's acting effected the dialogue more. I wanted for him to seem caring, almost overly affectionate, yet it appeared a more forced.

When looking over my credits I am very happy with how they turned out, especially the panning around the mug, this was also pointed out as my audiences favourite credit. Another credit I did enjoy was the one shown on the inside of the wardrobe door, I believe the editing of the two shots leading up to that shot were rather good as well. Someone during my feedback did mention that they found the credit presented on the bathroom towel was unnatural, however I disagree to a certain point. Although yes, it is an odd place to have an opening credit, I think it show creativity and suits with the rest of the credits being revealed throughout the opening sequence.

The music suits well to the storyline and genre of the opening sequence. The 'Bubble-Wrapped Heart' lyrics refer to someone who has been hurt in love before and is cautious of new love. This suits Natalie's feelings at the end of the film when she begins to overcome her relationship with Adam and tries to move on with her life. The use of only an acoustic guitar suits the simplicity and purity of the character of Natalie, having no experience and Adam being her first boyfriend shows her naivety. The song choice can appear to be a form of foreshadowing to the ending of the film, this was a conscious decision and has complimented the storyline well.

Altogether I do like my opening sequence, however there are some aspects that I would re-film and change.

No comments:

Post a Comment